The benefits of wearing wig caps may be unclear to someone who has never worn wigs before. If you wear wigs regularly, you may also be wondering which cap you should choose. Take a look at the benefits of wig caps and the different materials they are made from.
Benefits of Wearing a Wig Cap
1. Secure Fit: A wig cap holds your natural hair in place while creating a smooth surface for your wig. A secure fit prevents wigs from shifting.
2. Improved Comfort: You can improve your overall comfort when wearing a wig by using wig caps, which reduce friction between the scalp and the wig.
3. Hair Protection: By wearing a wig cap, you can prevent potential damage to your natural hair from constant contact with the wig. As a protective barrier, it prevents breakage and tangling. Wig caps can be worn by women who have lost all their hair completely to protect their scalps from irritation caused by direct contact with wigs.
4. Improved Wig Appearance: Your wig will look more natural when you wear a wig cap, enhancing its overall appearance and creating a more seamless, realistic look.
5. Hygiene: A wig cap protects your scalp from oils and sweat by acting as a hygienic barrier. This makes it easier to maintain the cleanliness and longevity of the wig.
Wig caps come in a variety of materials and styles, so make sure you choose the right one for you.
Wig Cap Materials
A variety of materials are available for wig caps, including:
1. Mesh: The mesh material used in mesh wig caps is fine and breathable. Their good ventilation allows air to flow to the scalp, which can be beneficial in warmer climates. When wearing a wig for an extended period, a cap like this is particularly helpful.
2. Nylon: Caps made of nylon are the most popular. Nylon wig caps are lightweight, breathable, and snug-fitting. They are suitable for most situations and can be used by most people. When your hair or head is slippery, nylon will help your wig grip. You can tuck your hair into the cap to prevent it from protruding.
3. Cotton: Cotton wig caps are not only soft and comfortable, but they are also hypoallergenic. Allergy sufferers and those with sensitive skin can benefit from it. The material, however, is not recommended for women with partial or no hair loss since cotton is an excellent absorbent. The cotton wig cap can, therefore, cause your natural hair to become dry because it removes moisture from it. Moreover, cotton is known for being abrasive, so further damaging your hair.
4. Spandex: Wig caps made from spandex are stretchy and provide a secure fit. Their shape conforms well to the head and is often used for sports and activewear. Spandex is used in some dome wig caps.
5. Satin: Satin wig caps are the gentlest on your hair. Moisturizing the hair and preventing friction are their purposes. These caps usually take the form of larger caps and hair bonnets. Additionally, satin is used to manufacture head scarves and pillowcases.
6. Bamboo: There are several benefits to wearing bamboo wig caps, including their eco-friendliness and breathability. The fact that they are antimicrobial and moisture-wicking makes them very popular.
7. Latex: Latex wig caps, or bald caps, are stretchy and fit snugly. Latex allergy sufferers, however, may experience symptoms. Typically, these caps are used in theatrical productions.
Consider the comfort of your head, the sensitivity of your skin, and the specific hair needs you have when choosing a wig cap. Many people find wig caps comfortable, but others find them uncomfortable and restrictive. Wearing a wig cap entirely depends on your preferences.
View our assortment of wig caps HERE!